Update: I have changed up a few ingredients in this recipe and created a fantastic cheese dough that holds more like pizza dough does. If you’d like a more bread like recipe then please check out the Stromboli recipe.
One of the things that happens when you realize you can have pizza again is you start to remember things like, “Pizza has a lot of calories” and “Almond flour sure is expensive!”
I needed an alternative badly!
Someone had mentioned they made the holy grail pizza crust with coconut flour and 3 cups of cheese instead of almond flour. I was out of cream cheese so I decided to use some heavy cream. I also wanted to be able to eat it all in one sitting so I cut the amount of cheese in half. It was one of those weeks. It doesn’t happen often but when it does… I really need comfort food. This was a god send for me! You can watch a video tutorial showing how to bring together a cheese dough on my how to post for the Holy Grail Pizza. (Do NOT add extra coconut flour to your dough like in the video with the almond flour crust. If you have any trouble incorporating the cheese with the flour then just reheat the cheese for 10 secs in the microwave. Coconut flour and almond flour act completely different). I also use this exact recipe to make quesadilla’s. I just cut it in half and roll two tortilla shaped pieces and then fold them when they come out of the oven.
That’s a little thin in the picture above. You’ll want to roll it slightly thicker. My aim was to create something that could at least remind me of the crazy bread from Little Caesars. The best part of crazy bread is the way the parmesan cheese on top is mixed up with butter and garlic. So I knew if I could get the coconut flour to work for me and if I portioned it right then I could seriously have some comfort food that I could eat ALL of in one sitting.
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella (140 grams)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp's coconut flour
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- (disclaimer: I eyeball this part. Make sure that when you mix the cheese into the butter that it makes a sort of thick paste.)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1-2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder or minced garlic to preference
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt cheese in microwave making sure to not overheat.
- Add egg, cream, and coconut flour.
- You can add any spices you want at this point but I find it's just as easy to top with garlic butter after they are baked.
- Knead your dough until the coconut flour/egg mixture is totally incorporated and roll out between two sheets of parchment paper. (If you have trouble with the dough reheat for 5-10 secs. until it easily comes together and is easy to roll out.)
- With a pizza slicer slice into strips (about 6 strips) and bake for 10-15 minutes on the parchment paper.
- Melt butter and mix with parmesan cheese and garlic.
- Top with garlic butter and parmesan cheese.
- No sugar added pasta or pizza sauce goes great with this for dipping!
- Serves 1
- 737.8 calories, 57.6 grams fat, 12.9 grams carbs, 6 grams fiber, 6.9 net carbs per serving
- Share (serves 2)
- 368.9 calories, 28.8 grams fat, 6.4 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 3.4 net carbs