How can we have banana bread while keeping the carbs at bay? Pumpkin and banana extract!
These are the extracts I used. Be sure to buy the canned pumpkin that is not sweetened. It should say 100% pure pumpkin on the can. When I first tested this recipe I used a whole can of pumpkin and then agonized over how I was going to share the recipe when each slice was over 5 net carbs each! I went back to my notes and changed up the recipe today. I love the results! There’s melted butter in that picture above but ignore that. We aren’t using butter for this.
I’m basing this loaf off the blueberry loaf recipe. Instead of using a whole can of pumpkin I reduced it to 100 grams (or 6 tbsp). It’s just under half a cup which is under 4 net carbs for the whole recipe. So don’t be afraid to try pumpkin!
I went to go make this last week with a different recipe and I thought I wonder what traditional recipes for banana bread are like. I looked up a few and none of them had cinnamon or chocolate chips. I was surprised. I tried it without the cinnamon or chips and I have to say I didn’t like it! I was so bummed but it is way better with those two ingredients. If you don’t like to use the sugar free chips then you could always sub crushed walnuts. I think that would work great too! I’ve had a lot of recipes using the chips lately so I wanted to throw that out there.
It doesn’t fill the pan a lot and I noticed it doesn’t really rise too much either. I might tweak this recipe in the future. The taste and texture are excellent however. My husband absolutely loves this recipe! Hope you all enjoy it as well.
- 1 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 100 grams (6 tbsp) pureed pumpkin
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 tbsp oil (melted coconut oil, canola, or light olive oil will work fine.)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp banana extract
- 1 and 1/4 cup sugar equivalent
- 2 eggs
- 2.5 oz sugar free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Mix together almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder with a whisk and set aside.
- Mix canned pumpkin, vanilla extract, banana extract, heavy cream, oil and sweetener well and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients along with the eggs with a mixer.
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray and spread the batter in.
- Bake for 45 mins.